I hope this post finds you doing well and happy Earth Day! This is a re-post from last year with a few minor changes.
Earth Day was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin to bring awareness, inspiration and gratitude for the Earth's environment. Reduce, Recycle and Reuse anything and everything possible. At Cactus & Ivy, we reuse packing peanuts and boxes that are received from our suppliers. If they are in good condition, we turn around and use them in shipments to our customers. Containers that store our raw materials are cleaned when emptied and reused whenever possible. We are also taking steps to securing biodegradable containers, where possible, and labels made from corn.
Here are some things you can do to make a difference:
- Replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Recycle your glass, plastic and paper
- Walk, instead of drive, whenever possible
- Turn your lights off in your house when not needed
- Unplug all non-essential appliances
- Take recycle bags to grocery store and stop using paper or plastic
- Plant a tree or two or ten
- Use appliances with the Energy Star logo
- Conserve water
- Use WaterSense products for your home, yard and business
- Keep your thermostat on 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter
- By 2030 the number of automobiles in the world will increase by 50%.
- It took 125 years to consume the first trillion barrels of oil – the world will consume the next trillion in only 30 years, according to Chevron.
- During the last one hundred years the global temperature has warmed between 0.7-1.5°C.
- The current pace of sea-level rise is 50% faster then in the last century.
- Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, carbon dioxide (a green house gas linked to climate change) in the atmosphere has increased by 35%.
- The Arctic ice pack has lost an area about twice the size of Texas since the mid-1970's.
- Each gallon of gasoline burned creates 20 pounds of CO2.
- As many as 15-37% of all wildlife species in some regions could be "committed to extinction" by 2050 years because of global climate change.
- By planting a large tree that creates shade, one can reduce heating and cooling costs annually by up to 40%.
Thanks for stopping by y'all and have a fabulous day!
Cactus & Ivy