Thursday, May 7, 2009

Goodbye Thud

Hey Y'all!

I hope this post finds you doing well. It's a sad day around here because we've lost another faithful, four legged companion. My Dad told me their beloved Thud passed away Wednesday morning from a heart attack.

My parents picked up two cats from the animal shelter 15 years ago, desperately in need of a loving home. The furry little creatures had no clue what a fabulous home they would be going to. Plenty of trees to climb, leaves to wrestle and play in, butterflies and bugs to chase, food in their bellies and more scratches and hugs than they could ever imagine.

Once at their new home, it was time to pick names. Gracie seemed to fit the female right from the start but the male was a little harder to figure out. He had jumped on the back of the recliner to lounge a bit and when he jumped down, he made a "thud". So, my Dad decided Thud it was! Gracie took more of a liking to my Mom and in his younger years, Thud was definitely Daddy's.

Thud was very particular about who he sat with and allowed to scratch him under his chin or around his neck. Basically, he didn't want to be held or touched unless he initiated the pamper session. In his old age and after losing his eye sight, he mellowed out a great deal. As he became increasingly dependent on my parents, Thud was attached to my Mom's hip because of her familiarity, constant loving and milk with ice cubes.

Whenever my parents would go on vacation, they would leave Thud with me so he would not be lonely. Prevo and I fixed him a nice little pad in our spare bedroom with all the amenities. The year that Prevo was in Iraq, Thud was a companion of mine for a week. His first night in the house, he cried out for attention. I went into the room at 10pm to console him and ended up falling asleep on the floor. I woke at 6am to Thud touching me ever so lightly on my face.

Rest in peace dear, sweet Thud. You were definitely loved and are sorely missed! We shall see you again at the Rainbow Bridge.


Cactus & Ivy
blog comments powered by Disqus